Friday, August 17, 2007

Will you let a hairdressing student cut your hair?

Yes, if it's a student at Toni & Guy Academy. They can't go wrong.

I first read about cheap haircuts when I spent the night in London before going to Rome in March. Then last week, I got the phone number of Toni & Guy from Mel and quickly scheduled an appointment. Before I called them up, I searched online for reviews, which were generally very positive.

With a voucher from a magazine, the haircut and/or color is free, but without it, you pay £5. Although £5 (~P460) is a lot of money for a haircut in Manila (where the cheapest haircut I know is 50p and my usual spending on a haircut is £2, tips included), I gave in. I don't know of a haircut in London cheaper than £5 (I saw that in a shop in either Dalston or Shoreditch), so I thought it was alright since I had not been to the salon since January.

There were about 25 women and a handful of men who came on the same time slot. We were divided according to the classes who needed us and what we wanted done. I only had square layers (named after the technique, not the shape of the hair, I think) done because I wanted to keep the length (of course, they snipped an inch off the end to keep it healthy).

The whole process, from shampoo to blowdry took three hours because Sam, who was assigned to me, took her time cutting and her teacher had to inspect her work every time she does something, even if it's just sectioning the hair. But the result was fabulous. Of course, when I washed my hair, I had to deal with the same big hair, bigger than before evenm because the weight shifted upwards. But the shape is nice. Now I'm tempted to buy the product they used on me.

I took these images one after the other when I got back to my room. Do I look older or younger? What a difference a top and a hair pin make!

9 comments:

  1. you look good cuz :)
    i think meron na nyan dito s apinas around 700pesos haircut dw but really nice daw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. salamat! buhaghag nga lang siya ulit, hehe. upmarket talaga sila. dito mga P2500 ang gupit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice haircut!!! gusto ko rin nyan! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you look younger or older, but it surely fits you!! It's reallyreally nice!:))

    Sorry for disappearing for a long time but I was on holidays in Greece. When my Pc will stop to behave like a naughty child I'll try to put some photo on facebook..but then you should join the community! ;) (please, think about it!)

    Kisses,
    Ele

    ReplyDelete
  5. @maan: thanks! a good trim is always a confidence booster
    @ele: hope you had a great greek holiday! i've been asked to join facebook many, many times. nothing personal, but i'll continue to be stubborn until it becomes an absolute must. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. abbs i dont think i told you when you showed me these but your pic sa right's really nice! pambawi sa michiko video!! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I stumbled upon ur blog while looking for reviews on Toni&Guy acadamies. Could you tell me the number of the one you went to, plz? Just tat the reviews I read are mostly outdated and there seemed to be several diff numbers. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ledz: totally, haha!
    @joey: 020 7836 0606. this one's at new oxford street. they also colour. for the more funky hairstyles, you go to a different place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! And nice blog, btw. Gives me ideas on wat to do in London. Haha. Thanx again.

    ReplyDelete