Monday, October 8, 2007

Imperial War Museum London, part 2


How do you capture the horrors of war? How do you exhibit compassion? Is it at all possible? When you are flooded with so much information, your heart turns to stone. It was only when I watched the Holocaust survivors talking in a video that I felt something in my heart.

There were many non-English speaking visitors. Some Danes, too. I don't know how a German would feel, especially if, for example, your grandparents were part of the Hitler Youth.

The Childrens' War made me reflect on the victims who are hit the worst.

outside the empty house she smilesin war yellow brick road
Seeing the partial scale model of Auschwitz made me want to go on a concentration camp tour, something I didn't do when I was in Berlin. No, that's not a morbid thought. I want to understand.

1 comment: