Sunday, October 7, 2007

Imperial War Museum London, part 1


The Spanish people I who lived in my Hackney hall during summer mentioned that they liked the Imperial War Museum so much that they went twice. So I thought I should check it out. And they're right: it's an excellent museum.


If a war-hater like me spent hours inside, just think of the people who have an interest in war (like my brother). They would probably need a day. The lower ground floor, mainly about the two world wars, is labyrinthine. Lots of uniforms and artefacts. I was tempted to photograph the Nazi materials, but I thought of the neo-Nazis who could use them for their means.

The Trench was dark and whatever stench they put in there was the same as Sailortown at Museum in Docklands. The Blitz was a bit disappointing. There were also displays about women's involvement in the wars. The video in the Vietnam War section of the D-Day exhibit had an electric guitar version of the Star-Spangled Banner. What a statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment