Monday, May 21, 2007

I got my Steady* back



On a warm (time for t-shirts) Monday morning, I set out for Valby to pick up my damaged digital camera.

I arrived at the service center and rang the bell. Five minutes passed. I don't think anybody noticed that I was there. I rang it again. A man who looked like the owner of David's Salon (plump, middle-aged, moustached) came. I showed him the invoice. He asked if I was told that the camera was ready for pick-up and if I had informed them that I was claiming it. I said no and that I was not going to have it repaired. He came back with the camera.

"That's 375 kr plus taxes...468(~P3,910)."

Whoa.

I took out my wallet. "You should have told me about the charge," I said.

"It's there," he pointed to the invoice.

"No, I meant before I left it. I could have sent it to the Philippines. It's still under warranty."

He paused for a moment and disappeared for three minutes. When he came back, he said, "You can take. I talked to the technician and he said he told you[that you had to pay]. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt."

What a relief. And no, I didn't have to put on any drama (my acting is no good in real life). But I did get teary-eyed when I heard 468.

We talked some more about warranties and lenses. I thanked him and said sorry for my ignorance about procedure, but they really should tell their customers about these things. He said that they usually do, but sometimes they forget.

"You're not so ignorant about other things,"he said, smiling.

"I love photography," I said, not really getting what he meant.

"Keep taking pictures."

"I will, once I have a camera." Huhuhu.

Anyway, the lens retracts erratically, but I was still able to take these photos of Valby station with it. Click on them to see how blurry they are full size. They'd be even worse if I wasn't shooting in macro mode(!). The one at the top of the post look okay, though.

It could be worse. (My friends from college ought to know this line.)


*my Canon Ixus 65

No comments:

Post a Comment