Thursday, May 17, 2007

Camera woes

I'm embarrassing myself by admitting that I cried yesterday when I got the invoice for the camera repair, but I'm doing it anyway.

It will cost me 1760kr(~P15,312) to have it repaired. For a point-and-shoot? No way. Worse, if I don't have it repaired, I have to pay 375kr(~P3,260) for having it checked. What on earth?!? Maybe I'm ignorant about procedure, but there was nothing said or written about this charge. Had I known about it, I wouldn't have left the camera with them. I'll simply send it back to the Philippines, where it is still under warranty and since I bought it from Canon directly, I know they'd do something about it. I could still do this, but if I can make a deal with the service center to leave the camera there in exchange for a certain amount, essentially selling it to them, I'd consider it.

Maybe 375kr is not a big deal to Danes, but that's two weeks' worth of food for me. I worked six weeks to buy that camera, and it served me well, taking over 6200 shots in 10 months. I had been carried it with me all the time even before I left for London. As a rule, I'm detached to my things, having my cellphones damaged, lost and stolen over the years. I was telling Jon that since I stopped wearing eyeglasses, there's really nothing I can't live without. (Then again, I need eyedrops. Maybe lotion, too.) I feel that I can always start over anytime. And I will.

I'm definitely buying a cheap new camera next month. As much as I love Canon, I'm also going to look at other brands that can deliver decent quality at a good price. Anything under 1000kr(~P8700) that you can recommend?

By the way, today is a holiday in Denmark: Himmelfartsdag. Sounds funny, but it's actually Ascension. The next holiday is Whit Monday, or the day after Pentecost, on the 28th. Weird that such an un-religious country marks it on the calendar. But any holiday is welcome, right? With 6 weeks of vacation a year and 37 hours of work every week, I envy the Danes.

3 comments:

  1. oh my... it is very sad to hear, but they are bustards, they never tell in advance about extra costs... you can try arguing with them, saying that it is illegal to ask money for the check if they didnt say it in advance. because i know that it is not right, they should warn how much it costs.

    you can try check out these cameras

    http://www.elgiganten.dk/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/store-elgigantenDK-Site/da_DK/-/DKK/El_DisplayProductInformation-Start;pgid=BSSz6oZKU8dSR0EjRNJBwx1k0000mlqcvx7x?ProductID=EhfD4QFHhPMAAAER3llbjEul&CatalogCategoryID=iF_D4QFHyGAAAAEO6w803xiY

    http://www.merlin.dk/Default.aspx?ID=207&PID=286&ProductID=8148

    http://www.elgiganten.dk/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/store-elgigantenDK-Site/da_DK/-/DKK/El_DisplayProductInformation-Start;pgid=BSSz6oZKU8dSR0EjRNJBwx1k0000mlqcvx7x?ProductID=gOPD4QFH0vkAAAEPq5VNUVIa&CatalogCategoryID=iF_D4QFHyGAAAAEO6w803xiY

    http://www.computercity.dk/Product/Product.aspx?Identifier=DKPS730&sName=Kamera+-+Digital+Kamera

    http://www.fona.dk/default.aspx?m=2&i=81&itemnumber=4709371060

    http://www.fona.dk/default.aspx?m=2&i=81&itemnumber=4709560040

    http://www.fona.dk/default.aspx?m=2&i=81&itemnumber=4703671360

    ReplyDelete
  2. tak, alex! you're an angel.

    i ought to return your soft case soon. let me know when you're in trekroner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. waw thats a hefty price tag for repair(?) though supposedly this things come with intl warranty na dba? anyhoo hope you get your happy snapper back soon and in good shape :)

    ReplyDelete