Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Teacher's pride

One of my high school teachers left a comment on a blog post recently. I didn't understand why. Until I read the Pathways blog today.

In college, I was part of a summer instructional program called Alay ni Ignacio for three years: two as an English Literature teacher and one as a student activities volunteer. ANI was run by Atenean volunteers. We taught exceptional students from public high schools to prepare them for college and to give them confidence to enter the best schools. Find out more in this video.

During the schoolyear, the students would be under Pathways to Higher Education, also initiated by Harvey Keh. Of course the students were already doing well academically to begin with, but both programs aim to familiarize them with the university setting and to ensure that they become well-rounded and spiritually grounded individuals.

Through the Pathways blog, I found out that two of my "kids", Lorimae and Michelle, graduated last year. There was a bumper crop of graduates this year, including nine with honors--four of whom were in my classes. To Cris, Suzette, Rowena and Jo-Anne: I'm proud of you and I know you will go a long way.*beaming*

No comments:

Post a Comment