Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April fool

That's what I am. I finally surrendered to Facebook after more than a year of unflinching resistance. I waited so long because I could imagine this scene in my head: stayingup until 3am in a friend-hunting frenzy. Good thing I'm finished with the dissertation!

As if this would stop anyone

I, the SNS newbie, was overwhelmed. Within the first 24 hours, I had 94 friends from 25 countries in 5 continents, and 77 more friends in the next 24 hours. It's good but not so good. I'm sure the OMGs and blast-from-the-past moments were not solely from my end.

I'm holding out with the applications primarily because I can't stand the clutter, plus I'm spending enough time online already. Bumgarner (2007) concludes:"Essentially, Facebook appears to operate primarily as a tool for the facilitation of gossip." I totally agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment