Tuesday, February 26, 2008

If not now, when?


Attending the Team RP concert for Truth, Accountability and Reform yesterday was slightly out of character for me.

I'm not the most actively political young person (I'm still officially young, in European terms, at least for another month). Perhaps the most political thing I ever did was trooping with orgmates to EDSA Dos seven years ago and leaving immediately because we had a show that night (which nobody saw).


So I surprised myself by participating in a noise barrage causing slow traffic flow along Katipunan, listening to Joey de Venecia, a Sumilao farmer and a student leader, and staying for a concert where some bands performed. Noel Cabangon sang this song.



It drizzled on and off, but the candles were alight all night. The crowd from EDSA joined us, but had to take down their banners inside Ateneo. Although at some points, the aims of the different organizations diverge, it is good to see people coming together for what they commonly believed in.

Towards the end of the concert, a former student of mine approached me and said that she was already working. To think that she was just in high school when I met her. I am getting older. And maybe more political

Panahon na para makialam. Kung hindi ngayon, kailan?

5 comments:

  1. When does youth ends in Europe? And which is the deadline in the Philippines? This is a weird topic, I think!

    Hugs, Eleonora

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5:12 AM..oh my god! Is already tomorrow for you! For me it's just 10 PM,that's why I'm younger maybe!

    :D

    Ele

    ReplyDelete
  3. i won't give my age away just yet, but think of when they stop giving youth/young person discounts. :)

    there isn't really any deadline in the philippines, but people graduate from university at 20 or 21. and often you pay adult rates when you're 18, sometimes 13.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just to give some facts, youth in the philippines range from 15 to 30, while the united nations' standard is upto 40. but then again, "youth" is a very relative term :)

    kudos erasmusa for rekindling that youthful hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're welcome, james. i don't want to be counted among the apathetic.

    if we had youth discounts until age 30, life would be a bit better for us, methinks. :)

    ReplyDelete