Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Practically perfect


I thought of how to best spend this week by looking at the half-price shows. I saw that Mary Poppins in closing in January. Since my housemates enjoyed it, I thought it would be worth seeing.

The seat I got was in the Grand Circle, but it was perfectly alright. Scarlet Strallen and Gavin Creel, who played Mary and Bert, were wonderful. For a moment he dropped the accent, which gave me the idea that he's American (I was right). If Creel sounds familiar, perhaps you've heard him as Jimmy in the Thoroughly Modern Millie soundtrack. And he blogs, too!

Aden Gillett, who played Mr. Banks, was obviously not a singer, preferring the Professor Higgins approach, but as an actor, I couldn't ask for more. Overall, the Banks are a likeable bunch.

The structure of the show has minor flaws, but maybe they're for the best. A lesson or two, with a spoonful of sugar, will do. Everybody had a wonderful, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious time.

Image from Covent Garden Kids Week by contactmusic.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, want to exchane links? Let me know, kay? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete