Thursday, December 6, 2007

Art and unrequited love in Russia


I enjoyed RSC's The Seagull. It made me laugh (and shed a single tear). Recognizing the cast from King Lear was interesting because you can see their versatility.

This time, Ian McKellen is just one of ensemble. Melanie Jessop's Arkadina is not played too big but was still effective. Although I feel that Romola Garai's voice can be her worst enemy, her portrayal of Nina is so innocent, like a newborn angel, much more fleshed out than the opportunity Shakespeare gives her Cordelia. (If she looks familiar, that's because she has parts in the films Amazing Grace, Vanity Fair, Dirty Dancing 2 and Atonement, plus she kinda reminds me of Cameron Diaz and a friend sometimes.) The discovery, really, is Richard Goulding, who showed the change in Konstantin between acts. At first, I thought he was fumbling with his lines, then I realized he was doing it on purpose. Sorry.

I left the theater feeling low, but don't let that put you off because it makes for a satisfying evening at the theater. If you can get a ticket for £5 (or even full-price), I suggest you do so. I was hoping to get seats on the left side for a change, but I guess the under-26s day seats are really for Dress Circle right, which, for this play, is just perfect.

Image copyright Manuel Harlan via KCRW

2 comments:

  1. I thought that I will not be going to theatre, while I am here, as I am not attracted to West End musicals.

    But tonight I am going to see Patrick Marber's Dealer's Choice tonight at Trafalgar Studios.

    Bob spoke about you and your thesis in CoMundus seminar yesterday. He seems proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoyed it! Though not all shows are created equal, the theater scene in London is unmatched.

    Honored to hear that Bob spoke of my work. It makes me even more excited (than I already am) to know that my supervisor thinks I'm doing well. I haven't told him this yet, but I am so grateful that he takes the time to listen to me yak about my progress every week even when he's not required to spend that much time advising me.

    ReplyDelete