Wednesday, December 5, 2007

In for a scare


Since watching King Lear last Friday, I've been gripped by theatre mania. I thought I wouldn't be seeing shows this year, but now I just have to.

Early yesterday morning, I went with H to the New London box office to get tickets for the evening (food for tomorrow's post), then went to class. After the session, within the span of an hour I went to the tkts half-price theatre booth (the legit one) for matinee tickets, munching crisps as I went, walked to Donmar Warehouse for advice on day seats, made a detour to Covent Garden to eat half a sandwich, popped into Theatre Royal Drury Lane to check notices in front of the box office, then finally arrived at Fortune Theatre, which has the smallest toilet cubicles I have ever seen in my life.

I normally don't watch scary stuff because I can scare myself easily enough. But I made an exception for this because it was recommended. The Woman in Black is a thriller based on the book by Susan Hill. It's been running in the West End for quite a while now, and it's no surprise why it's still there. Two words: school groups. I was scared they'd ruin the show, but they were quite well behaved.

The play leaves a lot to the imagination, and how it adapts the novel to the stage is quite interesting. In the process it tricks you into forgiving it for its faults. But the object is to scare, and it did that well enough. I think my imagination will get the best of me tonight when I lock up the house.*shudder*

No comments:

Post a Comment