Friday, September 1, 2006

The Deaf Designer


Her story is inspirational, to say the least.

I met Clarice 11 years ago, on a visit to the Southeast Asian Institute for the Deaf. Born hearing-impaired, Clarice did not let her handicap stop her from finishing college. With the full support of her family, Clarice attended Rochester Institute of Technology in New York state.

An interior designer by profession, she now teaches at the School of Deaf Education and Applied Studies at the College of Saint Benilde.

I e-mailed her a few weeks ago when I saw a segment on her on Mel & Joey. Last week, she had a little chat with my fellow scholar Indi, who used to work at CSB. Small world.

Disabled but able. That's Clarice. I feel extremely blessed to know her.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic blogging about me and Indi, Abby! :) I liked what you did.

    I wish you the best of luck on your London scholars. :)

    Tu amiga.

    ReplyDelete