Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Touching the Sunlight @ Met Museum

If you happen to be at the Metropolitan Museum, don't just look at the Amorsolos and then leave. Go a little further and take a few steps towards the back to view our exhibit of on-the-spot paintings at the old library. These are the individual works of children with disabilities (autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome) and us mentor-artists in San Jose, Antipolo, as well as the fruits of our interaction at the museum.

The task to paint with Fernando Amorsolo in mind was a huge challenge considering the physical and emotional state of the kids, but somehow we made it through. I enjoyed working with Carl, 12, who was always smiling despite the heat and discomfort of being in a wheelchair by the riverside.

Mang Ato, Thom and I also have plein air oils that we painted in Makiling. The pieces are very small, but I'm still thrilled to have a couple of works on the walls of the Met alongside some very good artists. It doesn't happen often to everyone. And with this so early in my vocation (hahaha), I feel positive about moving forward and discovering the art I want to create.

Touching the Sunlight runs until January 13, 2009

2 comments:

  1. that line made me laugh as well. isn't she funny hehehe. care to exchange links with my new blog www.makoyskie.com?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think they're making good use of the paris hilton vids to talk about things that matter. using humor, of course. :)

    i've got your blogspot in my links list. should i change it?

    ReplyDelete