Friday, August 15, 2008

Assumption Day


I wanted to visit my school where I spent 11 years of my life as a student primarily to say hi to Sir B. He had broken a tooth and had to go to the dentist. I ended up saying hi to everyone but him. At the MPB before Mass, B and I talked to Sir J whose memory of us had been completely deleted (he's a computer teacher). Sir L who was our science teacher in grade school at least remembered my genus, er, family name. He has more white hair now than when I saw him last, but it suits him. Sir G was a revelation (Christian Living teacher, hehehe) because he still knew my name. He confessed that although he terrorized us with "Where is your Bible?", he was really fond of his students. Awww.

I was most nostalgic during the Sign of Peace. All the girls in head to toe white greeting each other. I felt proud to have been in their shoes. If I ever have a daughter, the school would be my first choice for her.

B and I walked around the campus, noting how close the buildings seem now when they used to feel so far apart. C also came along, so we ended up talking lengthily to Ms. L outside the high school faculty room.

New landscaping, new buildings. But some faces didn't change. Or barely did. The two Mrs. As of admin. The manangs and the staff. I'm bad at names, but I knew their faces. Trouble is, I doubt they recognized me at all. Gone are the braces and the glasses and a percentage of the Hermione hair. Plus ça change, plus c'est la meme chose.

But when an old nun calls you old, ah, you probably are.

Happy Feast Day, old girls*!

*term for Assumption alumnae

5 comments:

  1. ugh. miss AA. wish i could've been there. balikan na lang natin si sir beni one day, abs. probably december. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo naman. para makagpag-harmony tayo ng badu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. baduu! sobrang nakakamiss! i think i guessed all of the names. haha!

    ReplyDelete