Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The massage is the medium

My family picked up a habit while I was away: having a massage before taking a flight. But I didn't have to wait for trip to have one. An hour-long bed massage for the whole body is only P280 ( £2 ) at Vibes, Robinson Place Metro East. The price is ridiculously cheap by any standards, though I am told that there are people who offer home service at a cheaper rate.

The last time I had a massage was a couple of years ago in the office, a free 15-minute chair massage (seated, but with a masseur/masseuse, not the La-Z Boy variety). Before that, I had a half-hour massage in full view of the mall crowd years ago and interviewed the blind masseur about his job. Earlier than that, there were free chair massages in college. At least now there's more privacy. The blind masahistas are trained in Shiatsu, Swedish massage, reflexology and acupuncture, arguably a decent way to earn their keep. On weekdays, Vibes offers a 25% discount on one-hour massages from 10am to 1pm. Sounds like an idea for a relaxing lunch break.

No comments:

Post a Comment