Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Diaspora, Media and Migration

Nothing vaguely academic in this post, sorry.

With a nametag that said "University of London", I felt like an impostor. Self-conscious that everyone at the ECREA conference but me was either doing their PhD or was a researcher or professor, I felt small. Being new to the field, I came to soak up the spirit of others who were devoted to this area and came out inspired by their dedication and personal commitment. While there is much work left to be done, the trail has been marked and the seeds of inquiry sown. It was a privilege to be in such good company.

Can I start writing my dissertation now? I think so.

5 comments:

  1. OMG OMG!

    I need labels! I recognize Gillespie. Which one is Georgiou? And Husband?

    You should totally do a guest-post in our MAG blog! EEEEEEK!!! I'm so kinikilig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. would love to!

    sa totoo lang, i took these for you guys, because you were gonna look for them.
    top to bottom, L to R
    1st row: georgiou, knott, gillespie, husband, campion
    2nd row: rydzewska, toynbee, dowson, frachon, ogunyemi, goodnow
    3rd row: pande, gouma, williamson, bailey
    4th row: jacomy, elias, witteborn, lax, siapera, diminescu

    unfortunately, i don't have everyone's photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which one had the best presentation? Were they presenting new empirical research? I'm curious most especially about Gillespie's piece!

    ReplyDelete