Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Roman holy days

[updated 8:52] More photos here.


It was Easter after all. Walking the streets of Rome, you'd find a church in every other street, so there's no excuse not to pop in for a visit.

We also found ourselves in the presence of the Pontiff a number of times. The closest I got to the Pope was five feet from him, when he entered St. Peter's Square for the Mass on the second death anniversary of John Paul II. I didn't have a camera then, but I made sure I had one during the general audience. We also saw him on Palm Sunday and heard (but couldn't see) him when he was celebrating inside the basilica. On Easter Sunday, we skirted the square for his blessing (lugging our stuff around, ready to go to the airport). I've never heard so much Latin in my life.

This recent NYT article on Benedict XVI is a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment