Saturday, April 21, 2007

Internet Radio, RIP?


The Copyright Review Board seems to be pushing through with its decision to charge internet broadcasters much more than they can afford to pay. This means that Live365, Accuradio and Pandora, among others could go out of business. That also includes some streaming stations off iTunes.

Why does it matter to me? More than listening to the different stations on offer (you can imagine my laptop keeps me sane in the absence of other entertainment devices), I wanted to study them. I was even planning to write my dissertation on internet radio next term. But with these developments, it seems that I have to move on.

I do have other interests that I could reconcile, as other researchers have done, like diaspora and new media. But everything is still unclear.

As for the battle of the netwaves, stay tuned. For US residents, click on the banner above to know how you can get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment