Sunday, July 29, 2007

Last chance for sentimentality

I've been in Trekroner for exactly six and a half months. Now it's just as quiet as when I first arrived, only there are leaves on the trees and slightly warmer.

It feels strange to move out, taking possessions which weren't really mine back to the shed where they had been abandoned and I had claimed them, essentially returning what was considered disowned.

One man's trash became my bed. I saw a number of homeless people in the streets of central Copenhagen yesterday. If only they knew how many beds are stacked out here (I saw two on the way home and I'll be adding mine soon).

A few hours after I put out one of my chairs, it disappeared from the shed. It's a cycle that is good for someone's budget and good for the environment.

Today is about scrubbing the place clean, stripping it of everything and making it look as uninhabited as possible.

By tomorrow morning, the room will look as if I was never here at all. There will be nothing to indicate that I lived in this place, no special mark or sign of me.

The inspector will arrive at 9am to check the condition of the room. I hope he finds no reason to deduct anything from my deposit.

Passing by the Blue Tower yesterday, I noticed the names on the postboxes of fellow students who have left. I took photos of them, well aware that in a few weeks, these names will be overwritten with new ones.

*sigh*

4 comments:

  1. :'(
    It's incredible the coincidence that made us all meet and created so much noise and the rapidity in which the silence came again over trekroner. The absolute absence of signs of our transit over there..
    A huge hug,
    Ele

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad, but well, it is the destiny of many rooms in dorms for exchange students... life goes on, we go on...

    I hope your last trip was very successful and you had space for all your photos ;)

    I am going soon to Portugal, but alone, my friend cannot join me, so I hope I will not get lost there...

    Is it London next for you now?

    Aleksandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still can't believe that we left that place. It look so much like my life, my real and "unique" life... Hope we can meet again! Give some dates of when are you going to be in Europe! Muchos besos! Irene

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ele: some people call it synchronicity. :) thank you for always dropping by here!

    @aleksandra: yes, more photos to come. it was weird that i took less and less photos as the days wore on. maybe i'm becoming too selective? take loads of pictures in portugal! being alone will give you that reflective stance.

    @irene: i'm not sure about europe but i'm excited to hear about your iceland trip!

    ReplyDelete