Monday, July 2, 2007

From one institution to another



After the parliament, it's time to move on to an institution when it comes to music. With 75,000 guests expected this year, Roskilde Festival is one of the largest in Europe, and the second largest rock music festival after Glastonbury. Since I'm not a particularly big fan of any of the bands, I'm drawn to the bigger names. Band list here.

This time of the year, the population of Roskilde doubles and the quiet little city plays host to many music fans. When I went into town on Saturday, groups of young people were congregating near the trains station, eager to spend the night out in the cold for the chance to be one of the first to put up tents at the campsites which I heard were mobbed. Barriers fell and the guests came in well before the 8am Sunday set-up.

What's interesting about the festival is that all proceeds go to charity. Every year there is a different humanitarian focus. This year, it's fair trade.

Several international students (at least those that stayed here) volunteered through Gimle for three shifts of eight hours each. I got my shifts and I think it's manageable. No, actually it's perfect. For one week, 20,000 of us volunteers will also be eating, sleeping, working and showering wearing our Roskilde Festival '07 wristbands.

My shift starts today at 1500. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Goodluck!!! Jia you!!! ^_^

    Hi ABBY, sorry that I didn't get to email you back when you asked me if Im still here. The answer is--- YES! Should I start crying?! *lol*

    Glad to see that you've been enjoying EUROPE and maximizing your stay there ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gooooooooooood Luck dear Abby!
    I want to see soon the report of your first day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! bopping your head to beastie boys and uhhmm.. tiesto music! kainggit :)

    ReplyDelete