Friday, June 8, 2007

The Czech (anti-) Pearl Harbor?


Jiří passed on copies of Czech films to me and to Laia in the hopes that they make the round of international students' laptops.

Tmavomodrý svet (Dark Blue World, 2001) is a well-made film by Jan Sverák, who also directed the delightful Kolya (1996). Krystof Hádek (Karel) reminds me of a young Marco Hofschneider in Europa, Europa. My only comment is that sometimes it seems that the placement of the interspersed past and the future sequences was random. It tried not to have a Hollywood ending, making it a wee bit anti-climactic.

I couldn't open Príbehy obycejného sílenství (Wrong Side Up) with any of my media players (probably a codec problem) and I've since passed on the DVD.

Old school soundtrack cover below.

No comments:

Post a Comment