Thursday, June 14, 2007

Confessions of an exchange student

Since the month started, it has been feeling like the beginning of the end.

There was (German) Simon's Kierkegaardhus festen on the 1st, which reminded me of the first party I crashed in Trekroner--his birthday. Anais, Li and I didn't even know him then. I remember we were supposed to go to Copenhagen but then the other Korallen people went to Filosofparken, so we just followed them. A lot of dancing and incriminating photos. Last thing I remembered, Ana and Francisco were drunkenly falling over in the snow. I dunno who took this, but this was us then.



Last night was the longest farewell to date. We bade our Québécoise Josianne goodbye with flags and signatures. She was in tears but extremely happy.

I was hoping to leave and walk with Bopha before 0230, but my supergroup wouldn't let me go. We were just hanging out at Josie's room when we heard, of all songs, Mmmbop by Hanson at around 0330 and decided to go back to the big kitchen to dance. When I left at 0445, it was already light (though cloudy) but people were still dancing.

Ah, the importance of good DJs! (Meaning in touch with the pulse of partygoers.)

=============================================


A letter best left unsent:


Dear [name of person back home],

I'm excited to come back in [x number of] days! (I'm not raring to leave, though.) I missed the food, the people and all those little things I took for granted there. (Believe it or not, there's a lot that I will miss here, too.)

The beginning of the semester was quite miserable, but I've since learned so much here (but not in the classroom), met many students from different backgrounds and did a bit of traveling, too. Maybe I've changed a bit as well. (Make that "I'm not the same person you knew" or something to that effect.) You'll notice the change eventually.

I'm saying sorry in advance if I will seem distant the first few weeks when I get there. Call it withdrawal symptoms, reverse culture shock or what you will. You might not be interested in my stories. Or you might like to hear about my new friends, only to wish you had not.

So it wasn't the biggest life-changing experience. (More of a gradual one.) Still, I evaluate my life differently now. Hope you understand. (You can try, but I know that you can't. I will have to deal with this on my own.)

See you soon! (I hate this whole packing-up-and-saying-goodbye business!)

1 comment:

  1. Last night ment a lot for all of us, I guess... I think there are more things going on that we realize now, but the magi is in discover them little by little, to keep the closeness feeling even when we are spread on different sides of the globe! Supergroupmates keep you on party! Kisses!

    ReplyDelete