Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Two Filipina Fantines


After reporting last week that Lea Salonga will be playing Fantine in the Broadway run of Les Miserables starting March, PDI ran an article today saying that Joanna Ampil will also be playing the part in London beginning this month until June.

This news makes me feel so...proud. I guess that's partly because I saw Joanna as Eponine in Les Miz years ago, and she was really, really good. It also made me feel proud telling Ceci that the Mary Magdalene she was listening to in the London Cast Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar was Pinay.

I'm not the type to have pictures taken with celebs, but I must admit that I had a picture taken with Joanna at Clark during the Philippine Centennial. Though I've seen Lea in five shows or so, the most contact I've had with her is via e-mail, and that was for work, so I guess that doesn't count.

Thank you to Cameron Mackintosh, Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg for giving Filipino artists the chance to shine on the world stage.

Photo from joampil.com

No comments:

Post a Comment