Thursday, January 25, 2007

Statens Museum For Kunst


Went to Copenhagen last Sunday. From Nørreport station, I went into the Botanisk Have (Botanic Garden), hoping to find a way out on the other end (I did not). I'll come back when the weather is better. It should be lovely.

There is really something about me, men and museums (see September 23 and 28 posts). I was a few meters away from the intersection of SMK when a Danish man approach me (looked late 30s but I can't really tell).

MAN: Hej!
ME: Hej! (keeps walking)
MAN: Can I ask you a question? Hvor kommer du fra?
ME: (stops walking) Jeg kommer fra Philippinerne
MAN: Ah, Philippinerne. Could I buy you coffee? Lunch?
ME: Ah,no. (embarrassed smile)
MAN: Why not?
ME: I'm going somewhere.
MAN: Where?
ME: There.
MAN: Museum?
ME: Yes.
MAN: You're very beautiful.
ME: Thanks. (blushing)
MAN: Have a nice day.
ME: You too.

I think I put the accent wrong on Philippinerne, a dead giveaway that I don't live here. Karmi had warned me about the Danes being very liberal. (A Filipino student I talked to at the Norwegian Embassy said that even bestiality is legal in Denmark.) Anyhow, regardless of the country, I would have said turned down an invitation on the street. But I must admit the lunch offer was tempting because food costs so much.

The museum was cool. There's a lot of Danish modern art and older European art. My favorite part is the wall of Dutch and Fleming paintings. Still lifes galore.

There was one particularly memorable video called Family Sha-La-La, where this group of people dance to Sha-La-La (clap-clap-clap, Sha-La-La in the morning). I wasn't familiar with the artist but I suspected that she was Pinay. True enough, Lilibeth Cuenca Rasmussen is from the Philippines.

Sunday being family day, all the parents were walking with their kids. There was a special talk by Sebastian Klein at the museum especially for kids. I couldn't understand him, but he was so funny, like a one-man radio play.

I went to Sankt Annæ Kirke, where 90% of the churchgoers were Filipinos. A bus full of chatting Pinays is an interesting sight in København.

Am glad that the days are slowly starting to get longer. But man, it's -8°C out, feels like -14°. What am I supposed to wear?

5 comments:

  1. ang masasabi ko lang... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. i hope he was cute. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. he was ok. mukhang disente, pero walang laban sa itsura ng mga international students dito. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi abz,

    finally got 2 visit your blogsite... interesting anecdotes. hmmm... ud get used to the flatteries. just S-M-I-L-E and let them wonder. one thing great about living overseas is u get a better appreciation of the simple things in life that u take for granted plus u get to discover the real "stuff" ur made of amidst the strangeness and newness of the place and the people.

    'hope u get to meet a nice, gentle great Dane... hahahaha!

    miz m :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wouldn't bet on it, miz. thanks for dropping by and do check out the archives. :) come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahaha :) Sobrang funny. Well, what can I say? Benta ka talaga Abs, hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete