Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sunday service


Mass organist
I never thought I'd ever do this, but I played the organ at Mass yesterday. There were only two hymns, which I practiced with Ana B. last Saturday. I knew my nerves would get the better of me, so I recorded the left hand parts to be safe, only to find that the recording gone on Sunday morning. I fumbled over every other measure, but the volume was so low that nobody noticed. Practice, practice, practice!

Sunday club
Spent about an hour and a half in the crypt of St. John's Parish in Islington, where there is a weekly soup kitchen (more of a sandwich kitchen) for the homeless. I have mixed feelings about the project. On the one hand, it could encourage people to rely on the generosity of others. On the other hand, it could be the only place where they could have food and a roof over their heads.

The welfare system isn't foolproof, but at least it's there. I still think that the people I talked to are much better off than many in the Philippines, who live a hand-to-mouth existence, without no decent clothing to speak of. But in a developed country such as the UK, it is unfortunate that poverty exists.

I could also have seen some drug dealing activity, but I'm not sure. On a rainy day like that, it's much better to have them indoors, not soaked to the skin outside.

Worth noting: of the 50 or so who went, only 3 were women.


Caroling tayo!

For one reason or another, I've always avoided being in a choir. Not anymore. Sunday afternoons before high tea are reserved for choir practice. We first met our teacher, Marjorie, three weeks ago. The first song we sang was Here, There and Everywhere by The Beatles. We learned four carols yesterday, as we're gearing up for the Christmas concert, which we'll have in our hall in December. It should be interesting.


This is the facade of our house, showing the front door. The ghostly reflections are probably coming from St. Matthew's, the building in front of us, which used to be a hospital. But I could be wrong. We joke about the house ghost all the time. Not unusual, London being such an old city.

No comments:

Post a Comment