Monday, October 9, 2006

British Museum, part 1: The Great Court


I remember coming here six years ago. Ma and I were in a hurry because we were going to catch a matinee that afternoon. We went inside the back door and peeped in. We saw the Asian collection and thought, hmm, this is not what we came half-way around the world for. So we went out. There was a lot of construction going on.

This is it.

The Great Court was built to coincide with the millennium. There is so much space, and rightly so. The rainy Thursday afternoon that I went, there were so many schoolchildren and people of all nationalities. The cafe and restaurant were both doing brisk business. And there was still a lot of space for the collections. I took note of the free guided tours so that I can drop by before or after classes (school is just two blocks away).

No comments:

Post a Comment