Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Shopping in Hackney


We went on the long route of the 394 bus to East End suburbia, where whites are the minority. I had looked up the location in Journeyplanner, only to lead our tiny band of four to the wrong direction on Mare Street. Our goal was to get to Primark, the famous discount clothes store. The merchandise was strewn all over the floor when we got there, but there were good bargains to be had.

I picked up a pair of boots from a store across the street. What sealed the deal was the reaction I got from a Fat Joe figure (plus metal teeth) who saw me try them on. "It looks good," he said, smiling sincerely. I don't think he was employed by the store, so I took it as an honest opinion.

We took the 55 bus on the way back. That cut our travel time in half.

(That's Old Spitalfields market, open since 1887. Sorry, no Hackney photos!)

2 comments:

  1. no hackney photo. but there should be a photo of the boots! hehehe

    wow, abby, it really seems like you're having the time of your life there! and just this lunch we were talking about how envious we are of you!

    take care! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you only knew how boring my days are like... :)

    ReplyDelete