Sunday, October 8, 2006

Another Pinay in London


I asked the woman with me in the school elevator if she was Filipino. Good thing I got a positive response. Joyce has been in London for two years now. She taught math in the Philippines and is now taking up Education while juggling two jobs. It turned out that we were both going to speak to Lizzie, the International Student Coordinator, so we waited for each other to have a chat in the student union cafe. (The union also runs a bar in school.)

Joyce told me to watch out for persistent men after relating the incident when a man semi-stalked her in Hyde Park. I told her that while she was in Lizzie's room, three men hoping to speak to Lizzie had talked to me, but I guess they couldn't wait so long because they saw that I was next in line. The first one was a Nepalese Erasmus fellow in Lifelong Learning; the second, a Pakistani LSE MBA student who wanted to ask something for his sister; and the third one, a Taiwanese Philosophy PhD student. Had they spoken to me in the street, I would have probably ignored them, but since we were in school, no harm done.

Joyce also narrated her backpacking trip with a friend across five European countries. Inggit ako!

I took this photo during the programme induction in the evening. These are the wines served during functions. A matter of re-labeling, but the effort was still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment