Friday, May 22, 2009

Au Pinoy

My friend R has taken up the issue of Filipina au pairs in Denmark. He wrote to me on Facebook recently. An extract from his message:
Sometimes,

I become angry. Or sad. Or something inbetween.

When I look at how the different Filipino organizations here in Denmark are working against each other. Competing. All wanting to be "alpha male", so to speak. So they don't share information easily. And the only real losers are the members of those organizations, or, more acutely, those who are Outside those organizations. Who don't belong to any of those networks.
...

Sometimes I wonder why they seem to be so focused on the church (im Not against the church), or their karaoke, or their social meetings, when so many other things - the very foundation for their visa here in Denmark, or, rather, those who come here after them - is all in the air.

Messages went back and forth. I tried to explain the fatalistic attitude, even the gap between Pinoy students and au pairs. I want to be involved in the discussion. If you also do, visit Au Pinoy to know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment