Monday, June 30, 2008

Ah yes, atchara

I've been making sandwiches for lunch except occasionally when I'm not working and I feel like making pasta. I've been craving for Pret's Mature Cheddar and Chutney sandwich, but since I'm in the Philippines, I can use "Cheddar" (the brand name of pasteurized processed cheese spread--deception, really) and pickles or papaya atchara. Not very appetizing, is it? But I promise it's just as good.

Ah, atchara. Remember high school, girls? You could tell which class was making atchara because the classroom would smell of vinegar, though the work was done in the kitchen. Was it Sir Mitra who sniffed and wrinkled his nose when he came in for class? I remember that Jamie Anne, Anne Marie, Marie Bianca and I (a wonder my first name isn't Bianca) were divided between the atchara lovers and... I don't recall what the other camp was.

The memory of smelling sour can also be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment