Monday, May 19, 2008

Square #1: Made in China, bought in Italy, painted in the Philippines

Which is the bigger difference: the way the painting looks in the two photos or the way I look in them?

I'm very pleased to show you my first work on a square canvas. When I presented Mang Ato with my choices of subject, he picked this one. Challenging. A classical subject painted realistically, with a somewhat modern edge.

I bought the shawl on Easter Sunday last year in Rome. We had wanted to get the Pope's blessing at St. Peter's before going to Fiumicino, so we had our luggage with us. While waiting for the van to take us to the airport, A. haggled outside the square with a Chinese woman selling shawls. I did the same.

Won't show you all the pieces so you'll come see our show before the year ends.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! :) Am sure this would have been a great one to see in real life. But nonetheless, it's nice! Such a talent you have.. Thanks for sharing..share more !

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, marie! there are some more over here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/erasmusa/sets/72157594220833702/

    unfortunately, i'm better at photographing the outdoors than my work :)

    ReplyDelete