Friday, May 2, 2008

Remembering Teacher Glo

Mrs. Flores (top right) and the broadcasters in 1997

[In high school, I was the quiet nerd in the classroom; elsewhere, I was a radio broadcaster and a theater person. I didn't bother to ask the nuns for permission to go on air (educational=ok) or perform onstage (showbiz=not ok). It was cool to live a double life. In some ways, I think I still do.]

In freshman year high school, I tagged along with my brother to his school org and became an honorary member of the Don Bosco Young Broadcasters Club. It was quite a change from my all girls school because I was often the only girl in the studio.

For an hour every Sunday, we students discussed issues and gave out information on various topics. We recorded radio dramas, wrote scripts and became exposed to NGO work as well.

Mrs. Gloria Flores was our moderator, the driving force behind the radio program. Under her guidance, the program won in the Catholic Mass Media Awards and went on to become a CMMA Hall of Famer before going off the air. This was quite a feat, for we had no commercials and seldom had sponsors.

Teacher Glo had a long battle with diabetes and her health was always a balancing act of sorts even before her retirement. With her passing due to complications from the disease, I do not think that her life's work is lost. The ex-broadcasters and her students were the children she never had. Her legacy lives on in us--we who pursued careers in the media and NGOs. Those years with the program brought us where we are now and I know she's happy with what we've become.

No comments:

Post a Comment