Thursday, December 21, 2006

The whisky priest and other familiar characters


Three weeks ago, I wanted to read something different. I looked at the books in the Ashwell library and narrowed down my choices to two: Ian McEwan's Atonement and Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory. I chose the latter because the former was a thick book and a movie adaptation of it starring Kiera Knightley and James McAvoy will be out next year.

The Power and the Glory is in TIME's list of 100 Best Novels from 1923 to the present. What can I say? It's Graham Greene. Written from the point of view of a foreigner in Mexico, a converted Catholic at that, the book hits close to home. It was banned by the Church 14 years after its publication, but Pope Paul VI told Greene "to pay no attention to the condemnation by the Holy Office", according to this article.

4 comments:

  1. Checked out the 100 Best Novels list - dammit, why aren't the books I read on it? I've only read two that are actually on the list. LOTR, only because everyone else has read and seen it, and Things Fall Apart, only because we were assigned to read it. The others I only saw the movie adaptations of, like Gone with the Wind and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

    I have got to catch up on my reading. Probably The Catcher in the Rye. Any suggestions?

    Anyway I'm really glad you're back, Abby. Dinner? Lunch? When? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hardly read any fiction these days, though i leafed through 10 books on globalization in the past two weeks--not quite the same.

    i would like to read kazuo ishiguro's 'never let me go' because i've heard about it. 'the count of monte cristo' was the first book i couldn't put down;'by the river piedra i sat down and wept' broke my heart. can't think of anything else right now. mas madaling manood!

    as for dinner/lunch, i'll YM you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can i buy that book off you? LOVE graham greene!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. two things, mari:
    (1)it's in london
    (2)it's not mine
    :)

    ReplyDelete