Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Pasko sa Philippine House


Hanapin ang bandila't mga parol.

The Philippine Ambassador to the United Kingdom hosted an early Christmas party for Filipino students in the UK at his residence on Kensington Palace Green (lovely, lovely area). We had Filipino food: pancit malabon, sapin-sapin, empanada, tokwa't baboy. A group called UMPUK performed a balagtasan that debated whether Filipinos should stay in London. There was also a raffle where practically everybody won something.

It was interesting to meet fellow students and find connections with them. There's the LSE student who was from my high school, the IoE grad student who used to work at our telco client, the two Communication graduates who were ahead of me in Ateneo: one worked in fashion and dealt with our magazines; the other is going to meet David Buckingham of IoE and plans to teach at the Comm dept.

More proof that the world is small? Irene, a Filipina involved in The Work, who used to live in Ashwell and is the daughter of the consultant in the company my dad works for (whew) was free that evening. She had been planning to meet me eversince I arrived here. She lived very near the Embassy (and actually used to work there), so we had dinner--pasta at an Italian place at Queensway. We had a lot to talk about in the span of two hours. Forgot to take photos, but she's coming to the carol concert.

We do need the practice, but it was a blessing that we didn't have choir that afternoon. We practiced onstage last night. It's a big hall, so we will need some mics.

4 comments:

  1. Hi:-) Im Jocelyn Ruiz. I'm interested with this news "pasko sa Philippine House". i would like to have a permission if i could publish this in my newspaper for europe. Im doing 2 newspaper for europe and italy entitled "Ako ay Pilipino Connecting Filipinos in Europe and Italy". I want to collaborate with you that if you have like this stories, community events or news happened within europe please let me publish it in my paper. It would be better also if you can send also a photo or pictures in every articles but if there is no available pictures it is ok just send me the artilces. My newspaper aims to dessiminate information, news,community events and how filipinos shining abroad. So i hope it is ok with you? You can reach me at jocelynruiz3333@yahoo.com or ako@etnomedia.org. Thank you very much and More Power!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello jocelyn! e-mailed you already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't get one because i figured they'd be giveaways that will only add to my already overweight baggage :)

    ReplyDelete