Sunday, April 15, 2012

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia: Favourites from the collections

I returned to the Islamic Arts Museum, one of my favorite museums, after nearly four years from the time I fell head over heels for it. Start from the top floor, advised Brandie, who had been there just the week before. So we did.

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
The first display that greeted me was vaguely familiar

The museum still feels fresh, almost entirely new to my eyes. Growing up Catholic, Islam has always been a mystery to me. It still is, even if I'm living in an Islamic country. But that's what being enamoured is: there is so much to know about your object of desire that you want to learn it hard and fast.

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
I'd like to believe that Islam is a religion of peace... but the Islamic arms and armour section is pretty striking

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
The Church has its treasures, and so do they

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
A very fine chess set

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
This has to be my favourite sign!

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
Like Celtic patterns, Islamic patterns are highly mathematical

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
I'm a fan of the model mosques

Ari, who grew up Muslim, says that the term "islamic" should not be used so loosely as the museum does, that is, for everything that Muslims created. But to me, the adjective sums it up all too neatly: a marker telling me how little I know.

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
The artefacts I'm fondest of are those on paper

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
Like illuminated manuscripts, with much bigger borders

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
The most detailed Moleskine-sized book I've ever seen

3 comments:

  1. great, abi! thanks for the pictures, im gonna snatch them for reference. :P islamic art is very interesting. since the representation of the human body was forbidden by mohammedans; they are restricted somehow, but i think this made them explore geometric forms, symmetries and patterns more deeply. i always have the hard disk space for this kind of imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure, ian! that is true. interestingly, there are representations of the human body in the museum. hope you are inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm maybe the restriction on portrayal of livng beings is only on certain muslim groups or periods? im no expert, but the nerd in me is inclined to look it up. hehe the books are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete