Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Brief encounter

Two Wednesdays ago, before we could hang our paintings, the gallery staff had to take down the previous works on view. My fellow artist and I were inside the gallery, waiting for everything to be put in order before we agree on the layout.

A man arrived and went inside the gallery. He reminded me of Fr. Nick, white-haired and roly-poly. You could tell he was a collector by the way he looked around. I secretly wished that my paintings (stacked against the wall) were no longer in bubble wrap so he could see them. He just might find them interesting. My fellow artist being extremely shy, it became my duty to say something.

"Kami po yung susunod na mag-e-exhibit," I said, trying to be helpful.

"Yung black and white?" he asked.

"Opo," I replied.

He glanced around and then he left.

I recently found out who he was: Douglas Quijano, manager to the stars. He was found lifeless in his home in Lucban, Quezon over the weekend. Heart attack due to diabetes complications, according to PEP.

Gallery Owner was one of the last to see him alive. They had rearranged his house and installed paintings last Friday. GO told me that DQ wanted to reserve one of my paintings for his bedroom. That would give the piece a different color...

Since I'm no gossip columnist, this little story ends here.

Rest in piece, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment