Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Learning differently


The Master's programme I am taking is quite a change from my degree because the system here is different.

1) I call my teachers by their first names.
2) There's much more independent study and even more to read.
3) My classes are in mixed mode, meaning a lot of components are done online, allowing part-timers from other parts of England to take the course.
4) The thing I like most about school is that they emphasize that they will do their best to help. If you have any problem at all, academic or personal, they will help you or refer you to someone who can help you. This kind of support system is great, especially for international students who may have difficulty adapting with the system or coping with the change in environment.

There are 4,400 of us postgraduates in the institute, mostly studying education. I suppose many have already been teaching for years, so you can gauge the atmosphere in our school, which looks like an office building occupying nearly a whole block in Bloomsbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment