Saturday, November 4, 2006

Dance, Billy, dance!


I meant to watch Wicked the Musical, but the matinee was completely sold out, so I crossed the street to the Victoria Palace for Billy Elliot the Musical. I ended up paying an awful amount of money for a restricted view seat (if I sat correctly, I'd be facing the wall), but it was worth it.

I had high expectations for the show, so I wasn't exactly ecstatic, but everyone had a good time. Travis Yates, who played Billy, is more of a street dancer than a ballet dancer, but it would be unfair to expect him to be like Liam Mower (who appears in this video). I wouldn't say Liam is the definitive Billy, either, though I had hoped to see him, only to find out that he had "retired" on September 30th. Travis is an excellent dramatic actor. His comic timing isn't perfect, but he has a voice I like. He fits the role well, I would say.

Sir Elton just had to put in a number with dancing dresses, mala-My Strongest Suit in Aida. At least the story gave him good reason to do so. Like the movie, I wouldn't advise the show for young kids because of the swearing and the gay themes that might not be easy to explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment