Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Publika exclusive

"Why you want to go here?" asked the cabbie who took me in after I waited in vain for half an hour for the bus. "So far and...no taxi!"

I had actually wanted to go to Publika to see the French Art Fair and because Brandie had mentioned that it was pretty artsy. But the cabbie was right--the mall formerly known as Solaris Dutamas is not easy to get to and isn't a place the average Malaysian would think of going to on a regular weekend.

IMG_4500

Stepping into it on a Sunday morning, I had a sense of deja vu. What did it remind me of? Ah, museums (which I love). There were no crowds. Some empty spaces. A lot of natural light. It makes you want to put up an easel.

IMG_4491 IMG_4487

IMG_4486 IMG_4490

The stores are playgrounds for anti-mass production hipsters, as there is a significant number of independents, of which Ben's Independent Grocer is the big daddy. B.I.G. Publika has the most beautiful selection from the supermarkets I have seen in Malaysia. Just looking at the labels made me giddy.

IMG_4492 IMG_4488

Step outside for some verses.

IMG_4496

IMG_4493

IMG_4494

IMG_4499

IMG_4495

IMG_4497 IMG_4498

Come up to see nearby buildings.

IMG_4505
Examination Boards (?)

IMG_4504
Masjid Wilayah

Publika is wonderful for families, especially on Wheelie Sundays. If only it wasn't so far...and there are taxis (I had to cross the main street to hail one).

No comments:

Post a Comment