Monday, July 27, 2009

Cinemanila 5inco: Dinig Sana Kita


I've always wanted to learn sign language because of my deaf friends. When Bobby said he wanted to see Mike Sandejas' Dinig Sana Kita (If I Knew What You Said), I wanted to see it too. The trailer looked promising. Can a film about a deaf dancer and a rocker chick live up to the hype (and there are lots of it)? It depends on who you ask. Students love it while some older viewers find it not serious enough for consideration as best film in the independent film festival. I guess I'm somewhere in between.

A somewhat contrived meeting at the police station is the beginning of this unlikely but sweet story, which has a lot of heart. The do-gooder orphan with concerned teachers and deaf friends meets the troublemaker with dysfunctional parents and pa-cool bandmates. Add a camp in Baguio (amazing school architecture) and some alcohol and you have a somewhat awkward but cute narrative which uses music to its full advantage.

Zoe Sandejas looks perfect as Niña, the rich kid who looks like she stepped out of an Asianovela. Her being the director's daughter is a non-issue to me. The only thing that bothered me is that she was not convincingly bratty to me (or is my bitchiness standard too high?). Romalito Mallari, who is both deaf and hoping to find his father in real life, is loveable as Kiko. One little detail did not sit too well with me: he dressed a little too nicely. Scrap that. I still want to give him a hug.

Dramatic highlight: Mr. Mendoza (Robert Seña) and Kiko's emotional exchange in sign language. Wow. I want to see that again. Comic highlight: the band dancing with Kiko. I'd like to see that again, too.

It seems the film addresses underage drinking rather weakly. (Did she just exchange San Mig Light for C2?) But the appearance of Niña's (and also my) favorite band, Sugarfree is a plus, though it feels like a shortcut for a neat resolution. I suppose I'm unfairly comparing it with Mangatyanan, where every little thing made sense in the end.

Overall, Dinig Sana Kita reminds us what we all know: music is powerful, whether you can hear it or not. And yes, despite its imperfections, I should say it was worth it to come to a 10am screening at CCP.

A bumper crop of indies. My one true regret this week is not seeing them all. I had lined up for an hour to get a ticket for that evening's screening of the comedy Last Supper No. 3, which is on everyone's lips at Cinemalaya, only to be told that it was sold out. "Next year," said the ticket lady. I'll be back, for sure.

(Note: I spoke to Philbert Dy after I wrote and scheduled this post and he said something similar about Mangatyanan and Dinig Sana Kita. Finally, a critic who share my views!)

2 comments:

  1. I also regret not watching all the Cinemalaya entries. I only got to watch Dinig Sana Kita and Last Supper No. 3, and I have no regrets watching both of them. Hahaha, I have to agree that Kiko was dressed a little too nicely for his character. Nina's character doesn't seem to ring true for me, because her development in the film seemed rather abrupt. But it was still worth watching, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi hogi! would you agree that there's something about watching at a festival that pulls you to see more? for example, if the same films were shown at robinsons indiesine, would you like to watch them? for me, parang hindi. it's not the same, even if it's easier to go to.

    ReplyDelete