Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tuesdays with Mia: Kylie Minogue Aphrodite Live in Manila

On Pegasus!

I'm not that big a Kylie Minogue fan, but I admire, respect and envy a woman who has been performing for as long as I have been alive, has been through so much and still looks like a goddess. "Diyosa ka!" shouted Mia.

Aphrodite Live in Manila may be nowhere as grand as Aphrodite Les Folies in London with its waterworks and multiple stages. But it was still a nautical show that's naughty, sexy and liberally sprinkled with interesting haute couture (a walking picture frame, anyone?). For one night, I suspended my aversion to sparklies. A pricey production yes, but excellent in every aspect.



The set is a colonnade of screens with the best projections I have seen so far, transporting the audience from ancient Greece to space to the Mardi Gras in Rio. The arrangements made familiar songs new again. Now it can be told: Kylie in a big black feathery skirt is a beautiful ostrich. Dress her up in holographic wrapping paper and it doesn't look bad at all.

Kylie didn't fly this time, but she was every bit the gay icon. It is clear how Kylie's career has lasted this long--she is a generous performer and looks like she truly enjoys being onstage. And she's not only good at dance songs—she sounded great during a ballad.

Dancers doubling as aerialists. Big hair. Best use of feather fans. And the single electric fan down center? Useful.

The full house had a great time.

Kylie is the compleat showgirl: "Manila, thank you, thank you, thank you! For the warmest welcome, the amazing reception from the incredible isle."

I was very sad to see her go.


I don't recall the last time I was at Araneta and I probably won't be back unless an artist of the same caliber can promise a show like this one. Either that or a free ticket...

7 comments:

  1. oh my god where were you seated? i didnt even think to ask you if nood ka ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. far, far away at upper B. i think you were closer. actually found the video through your tumblr. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love Kylie and I heard from friends in FB that her concert there was awesome. By the way, how are you? It's been a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so good to hear from you, charles! added your blog to my reader so i can keep up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha the video's not mine! we were at Upper A lang. close enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best show I've seen so far! And I was in GA! Hahaha! Loved it when she sang that awesome version of "Slow." GANDA NIYA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was really something. burlesque without going all out. a great night out. :)

    ReplyDelete