Thursday, June 2, 2011

A blogger's Bali story

Blogger Chyng Reyes' Bali ordeal is spreading online like wildfire. I think it is worth a read as a cautionary tale to travelers, especially Filipinos. At the same time, let us try to be level-headed about it, or else the racism will only run on both sides. Here is my comment:


As someone who has been to Bali recently, I feel lucky that nothing like this happened to us. Then again, I was with family and probably less suspect.

But let's face it: this is happening because there have been precedents. When we were there, I was so embarrassed to see a Pinay on the front page of the papers--a pregnant Pinay drug mule caught by the Indonesian police.

Let us be thankful that despite the trauma, no drugs were planted and Chyng was able to go free. The story could have ended much worse.


No comments:

Post a Comment