Sunday, October 19, 2008

Movie time!

On the longest land trip I have ever taken, I watched seven films--none of them in full. (I wasn't exactly in control of the player and dozed off every once in a while because we traveled at night.)

The destination itself I'll talk about in two months' time. All that you need to know is that it took eight hours to get there and ten to come back. Here are the films in three sentences (fragments, actually) each, in the order in which that I saw them:

Deathrace I was surprisingly amused by the concept, even though this is a remake. Prisoners in a race to the death, ammo and all. Joan Allen makes such a nice villain.

Righteous Kill Pacino and de Niro take justice into their own hands. The idea is simple, the execution more so. In fact, too simple for these two living film legends.


Mirrors Since I don't watch horror, I only listened to this. That didn't keep me from taking a peek, though. Love the production design and cinematography inside the abandoned department store.

Baseketball Watched it on HBO in the boys' hotel room, while waiting for my room to be cleaned. Totally inane, but occasionally funny. But I'd really rather not spend my time that way.

Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno) Not as fantastic as I expected, but an awesome film, nonetheless. It had a grasp of time and place. Left me wanting more.

Eragon Since I had not read the book, I only knew the reviews. It's a film in a great hurry. I like the protagonist and Jeremy Irons, but that's not enough.

The Lost Treasure of the Knights Templar (Tempelriddernes Skat) Can I just say OMG? Bornholm will always be magical for me and the memorable places make this film for kids so much better in my mind than it actually is. Can't help smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment