Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Scoop at More London


Free theatre? I gave it a shot. The Scoop is an outdoor ampitheatre just beside City Hall. They have two shows running until 9th September.

The first one I saw was Helen of Troy, which was a disappointment. I don't want to go into a litany of all its flaws, but let's just say that my seatmates on either side didn't bother to finish it. The only thing that struck me was the strong message on religion and immigrants.


I wanted to give them another chance, so I came back to see The Jungle Book (yeah, the Disney one), told in a pseudo-Lion King (the musical) way. It was impossible to go wrong with the material, especially when the audience was made up mainly of young families.

Having the same actors and set for both shows doesn't have anything to do with quality, but casting for Helen of Troy could be better. Although the performances and the production values are not topnotch, that the shows are free is commendable. Donations were gladly accepted. I bought a program for their efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment